Insurance for Rotary Drivers

Dear Rotarians,

We have a number of new members who have joined Rotary in the last year, and it is timely that we all remember the rules pertaining to the use of vehicles on Rotary business. All members are to be aware that when using their own vehicles on Rotary business, and particularly when conveying third party passengers to, and from, Rotary events, and other agencies’ events, they must ensure that they are properly insured. Please find below the RIBA stance on motor insurance. This is a clear and unequivocal statement: “Rotarians must notify their insurers and obtain confirmation that cover is in force”. Also below is the ABI website home page which is really helpful, and provides a list of insurers who cover volunteer driving at no extra premium. Most Rotary members run their own businesses and their vehicles will be automatically covered; however, some Rotary members are retired and may not be covered. If you use an insurer on the ABI list they will provide cover for Rotary duties and volunteer driving at no extra cost. Please remember it is your personal responsibility to ensure your vehicle is properly insured at all times, in particular when carrying passengers for rotary and/or other agencies. If you have any queries contact the Health and Safety Officer for advice.

Motor Insurance

No cover is arranged by RIBI to insure motor vehicles (i.e. cars, vans, lorries and minibuses) requiring Road Traffic Act Cover. The use of motor vehicles for Rotary duties would normally fall within the definition of social, domestic and pleasure use; however, it is strongly recommended that Rotarians, whether they receive a contribution to expenses (motor mileage allowance) or not, notify their insurers and obtain confirmation that cover is in force. When borrowing vehicles, please obtain written confirmation from the owners that it is insured for Rotary’s activities including the designated driver.

Driving and Use of Vehicles - what to look for

Vehicle suitable for purpose in terms of access particularly for elderly or disabled passengers.

Driver’s physical ability to deal with elderly or disabled passengers.

Vehicle that is in good serviceable condition correctly taxed and insured.

Confirmation in writing, or in certificate of insurance, that voluntary activities are covered.

Consider use of a community minibus which should resolve many of the issues and concerns.

Make sure that, where it applies, the Rotary Club Protection policy is complied with.

Driver to insist that all passengers and particularly children wear seat belts.

When carrying children correctly sized seat belts and suitable booster seats are essential.

All seat belts must be correctly fitted with three point anchorage and inspected before use.

Driver must have current valid driving license, MOT for vehicle and correct up to date insurance.

Avoid eating, drinking, use of mobiles, use of navigation aids or any other distraction for driver.

Volunteer drivers

If you are a volunteer driver you may not automatically be covered by your regular motor insurance policy. Volunteer drivers are those who work for voluntary organizations but do not receive any payment for their work. Some insurers cover volunteer driving within regular motor insurance policies while others may charge an extra premium or impose a higher excess for volunteer drivers.

If you use your own vehicle for volunteer driving:

  • contact your insurer to find out if you are covered by your regular motor insurance policy;

  • include your volunteer driving miles when declaring your annual mileage to your insurer.

If you use a voluntary organization’s vehicle for volunteer driving you should be covered by the voluntary organization’s insurance, but always check with each organization to be sure

insurers who do not charge extra for volunteer driving have signed up to the ABI’s volunteer driving– the motor insurance commitment. Some of these insurers require you to tell them that you are using your vehicle for volunteer driving even though they do not charge an extra premium.

Next steps

Contact your insurer if:

  • they have signed up to the ABI’s commitment but they require you to tell them you are a volunteer driver;

  • they have not signed up to the ABI’s commitment as you may have to pay an extra premium to ensure you are fully covered